WATER DESALINATION AT ULAN MINE
The Ulan Coal Mine operated by Glencore is located approximately 45km north of Mudgee in the NSW mid-west.
The site currently operates two underground mines: Ulan Underground and Ulan West.
Upgrades to existing water treatment facilities were undertaken in 2014.
The additional water treatment plant uses ultrafiltration processes and reverse osmosis, to treat water captured from surface areas and extracted from the underground operations.
Permeate Partners were engaged to assist in the procurement of design and construction of the new plant.
Upon the completion of this plant, Permeate Partners were retained to provide operational support for three treatment plants including:
- Monitoring operation and performance of the plants, with focus on the membrane process units.
- Technical advice to optimise water treatment plant performance.
- Regular, documented records of plant performance and issues.
- Critical analysis of plant operation and cleaning regime.
- Assisting water operations personnel achieve an improved understanding of the treatment processes within their area of responsibility.
The water treatment plants continue to provide Ulan Coal with an integrated treatment system and a sustainable water management solution to support the operations.
CLIENT: Ulan Coal Mine Pty Limited (Glencore)
PROJECT: Ground Water Desalination
SIZE: 21.2 MLD permeate
STATUS: Operational – Commissioned 2006 to 2014
WATER SOURCE: Ground Water
TECHNOLOGY: Oxidation + MF/UF + RO
SERVICES PROVIDED: Operational Support